Monday, October 20, 2008

MY TWILIGHT LOVE AFFAIR


Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn

MY TWILIGHT LOVE AFFAIR

"About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how potent that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."
I discovered the Twilight series in much the same fashion as Bella Swan discovered that the cool, mysterious and utterly gorgeous Edward was a vampire…

It was a Saturday morning while I waited with my mom in the cramped waiting room for her appointment with her rheumatologist when I picked up the Philippine Daily Inquirer. PDI featured a full 2-page spread about Twilight, the series by Stephenie Meyer and Twilight, the movie produced by Summit Entertainment.

It was also a Saturday morning when Bella went on a beach trip with her school friends to First Beach at La Push when she met Jacob Black and “tricked” him into launching into the Quileute tribe legends of werewolves and the cold ones, blood drinkers, vampires…

While Bella had goose bumps learning about the cold ones, my pulse was racing when I saw the Twilight movie poster. I have never heard of the Twilight series but I have always been the hopeless romantic, a typical Pisces and I always had more than room for another love story, no, love saga that was currently sweeping across the globe. It was probably a mania spawning numerous websites, fansites and forums.

Right after reading the fascinating PDI articles, I knew I had to have a copy of the whole Twilight series starting from the first book Twilight, the second book, New Moon, the third book Eclipse and up until the still unreleased Breaking Dawn.

“And I knew in that I had my answer. I didn't know if there ever was a choice, really. I was already in too deep”.

The week after that, I looked up Stephenie Meyer’s website and watched the movie trailers on youtube and was fascinated, enthralled. On Tuesday, my officemate passed on a copy of Twilight and boy was I hooked with even just the first chapter. It was definitely un-putdownable that I finished reading, nay devouring Twilight at 2am barely 24 hrs since I started reading it! After finishing Twilight, I knew I was already in too deep, I was hooked!

"So what you're saying is, I'm your brand of heroin?" I teased, trying to lighten the mood.
He smiled swiftly, seeming to appreciate my effort. "Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin."


I couldn’t get enough of it! It was simply too addictive! I read the next two books, New Moon and Eclipse, serially. It took me only three days to finish all three books! Immediately after finishing Eclipse, I saw myself pre-ordering from Powerbooks a copy of the Breaking Dawn and then I started re-vamping (a term used in forums meaning re-reading) Twilight! I could not stop! It was also my brand of heroin, the perfect pill for a hopeless romantic like me.

August 4, 2008 the date of release saw me claiming mine and Twilight buddy Divine's reserved copy from Powerbooks during my lunchbreak! Months after I have read all the four books. I am still as hooked as ever... dazzled...

No comments: